Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lemon Squares

Our lemon tree is on its way out for the season, and I couldn't think of anything to do with my remaining lemons besides making lemonade...so I decided to try and make lemon bars.  I remembered I had a recipe that came with one of my Martha Stewart baking pans I got for my bridal shower, so I gave it a whirl.  

We were going to dinner at my in-law's anyways, and I wanted to bake something.  My husband, in his oh-so-kind way suggested sticking to cookies, since those usually turn out the best when I decide to experiment :)  I told him it's Martha Stewart, how could it go wrong? I am happy to say that they turned out delicious, and I don't even like lemon bars!

Martha Stewart Lemon Squares

Crust:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flower
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. salt

Filling:
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flower
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Toping:
Powdered Sugar

Directions::


Grate frozen butter on a cheese grater with large holes and set aside.  Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.  Add butter and stir until combined and mixture looks crumbly. Butter a 9x13 baking pan and line with waxed paper.  Pour mixture into dish and press evenly onto bottom with your hands.  Freeze the crust for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake crust until slightly golden, 16-20 minutes.

While the crust is baking, mix the filling together.  Whisk eggs, and add sugar, flour and salt until smooth.  Stir in milk and lemon juice.  Pour over crust as soon as it comes out of the over.

Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees, then bake until the filling is set and the edges are slightly golden brown, about 18 minutes.  (In my oven it was about 23 minutes, and I should I baked it until the edges were brown because my center was gooey... good but gooey.)

Let the pan cool for a few minutes on a wire wrack.  Then gently lift them out of the pan and cool completely on the wire wrack.  Top with powdered sugar and cut into squares.  Absolutely delicious!!!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment